Powered by Rural Month of Service July 2012
Throughout the month of July, rural residents across Oregon and the Pacific Northwest will set aside a day, a week, or even a whole month to promote community service projects in their areas.
Join us in the Powered by Rural Month of Service July 2012! YOU can help make a difference in your community by giving back and volunteering. Help us to cultivate the power of rural!
Register now – plant your project idea here!
Grow your project
Creating a volunteer event in your community is a great way to spread civic engagement and promote a sense of unity among your rural town. Start small and plan ahead – you’ll want an event manageable given your time restraints.
- Identifying an area of need in your community – what is your event for?
- Deciding on your project – what form will it take?
- Logistics – when and where will it be held? Will you need special supplies?
- Check with local authorities – what could be the barriers to carrying out your project?
- Here are some guidelines
- Getting donations: how will you get all of the needed supplies?
- Check out these as well as these helpful hints for managing your event
Nurture your volunteers
Taking care of your volunteers is very important; they’re the backbone of the event. Make sure to have a final headcount before the date of your event and bring enough supplies and materials for every volunteer.
- Tips here for managing your volunteers!
- Recruiting volunteers
- How to ask your friends to volunteer
- How to talk to service clubs
- Keeping a list of volunteers
- Equipment and feeding your volunteers
- What tools will you need?
- How much water and food do you need to keep your volunteers happy?
- Follow up
- When you register to create your own event, RDI will send you a packet with helpful supplies to make sure your event is a success
Spreading the seeds of success
Promoting your event is crucial to its success – this step can help in the recruitment of your volunteers. The more publicity your event has, the more volunteers and donations you’ll attract!
- How to write a press release, here or here
- How to write an article, here
- Make flyers promoting community’s involvement
- Take pictures!
- Post your event details on RIPPLE
- Share your success on RIPPLE – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details
- Email Rainey at email@example.com for our logos so you can advertise your event, use them to make:
- Yard signs
- Don’t forget to ask for sponsors from the community to help pay for these signs – include your sponsor’s logo in your materials and double the impact!
- DID YOU KNOW…RDI has Powered by Rural T-shirts available for purchase?! Make a donation and receive a shirt before the end of June and receive a discount. Follow this link to make your purchase!
View Powered by Rural Month of Service July 2012 in a larger map